A phlebotomist is required to draw blood from his patients. As doctors and nurses tend to be busy with their work, the task of taking blood and performing blood tests falls to a phlebotomist. With the medical field developing at a fast pace, there are a lot of opportunities to work in this field and phlebotomy is one of them.
There are reasons as to why a person can choose to become a phlebotomist and they are stated below
- Phlebotomy is in high demand. The expansion of heath care has left doctors and nurses with a lot of tasks that they find it difficult to do everything on their own. Research is continuing to find ways to learn how more diseases and toxins can be discovered from a patient’s blood. Hence, the importance of blood tests is only increasing and a certified phlebotomist can easily get a job anywhere. There are also increasing number of research facilities and diagnostic centers looking to employ phlebotomists.
- A phlebotomist can command a good salary right from the beginning. After a short training period, they can include vision, medical and even dental benefits to their pay. This keeps increasing as they gain more experience and additional training. Phlebotomists with the right experience and skills can earn as much as twice as a beginner in the field.
- A phlebotomist has greater chances of travelling, provided he is willing to. Phlebotomy can offer a lot of job transfers depending on whether the person is willing to take it. Apart from the obvious change in location, travelling phlebotomists get to work with travelling health clinics and travelling blood banks. For people who do not wish to work in the same place every day, this is an option that satisfies their urge to travel and at the same time, keeps them employed.
- The cost involved in becoming a phlebotomist is significantly lower than those involved with becoming a doctor. Hence, this is a great alternative for a person wishing to serve in the medical field.
- There are plenty of Phlebotomy certification online courses that one can use if he is genuinely interested in becoming a phlebotomist. Some online courses even offer online theoretical classes with practical classes in a local health care center. These couple the advantages of practical sessions offered by phlebotomy schools and flexible timings offered by online classes into one single program.